Health & Nutrition blog
To understand food is to understand body chemistry. In a nutshell, certain food increase inflammation and therfore pain, while certain foods reduce inflammation. Here is a short list:
1. Cherries. One study showed that drinking 12 ounces of tart cherry juice twice a day for eight days reduced muscle pain and strain. Fresh or canned tart cherries are also helpful.
2. Olive oil. Good source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
3. Cold Water Fish, fresh or packed in Water or Olive Oil. Salmon, tuna, mackerel and sardines are the highest in Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
4. Vegetables and fruit of every color.
5. Vegetable Protein such as soy.
6. Nuts of all kinds.
7. Green Tea.
8. Ginger. Try in a stir fry OR grated root in boiling water and added to tea.
And now 6 Foods That will Make You Feel Worse
1. Vegetable oils. Corn, safflower, sunflower and mixed vegetable.
2. Products high in fructose corn syrup.
3. Foods made with trans fats.
4. Foods high in saturated fats including red meat and dairy products.
6. Processed Foods.
We you are feeling the pain, steer towards healthier, more natural choices and lots of water.
Buried in the news of the summer was the reports that came out this past August of one of the largest egg producers having to recall some 380 million eggs linked to an outbreak of salmonella. This type of news may be shocking to most, but it really shouldn’t be.
For far too long, most of us have trusted that Mega Farming Corporations have had our best interests at heart. Obviously, it is irresponsible to paint all large corporations with a broad brush, but it is safe to say that your local, small farmer is going to be far more connected to their product AND with their community.
When I speak to patients and friends, I try my best not to be “preachy”, but this recent egg outbreak is yet another example of why I strongly encourage everyone to be more conscientious about what you put in your body, and where you get your food from.
Maybe you heard…fruits and vegetables are BAD for you!! OK, that may be a bit aggressive. But if you are one of those people who questions this whole organic food movement, or why people are being advised to buy organic foods, you should read the recent article posted on The Today Show and MSNBC.com.
As I like to do from time to time, I am going to require people to think a little outside the box. Researchers and experts agree on one thing, they don’t know conclusively what causes cancer and several other life altering diseases. But there is a growing suspicion that environmental factors such as food, water and air may play a larger role than we have ever thought.
(For those of you already snickering, ask yourself this question, “Would rather eat a fish out of clean, fresh water, or a fish directly out of the Potomac River?” If you are not familiar with the Potomac River, it is now against the law to walk or swim in many parts of the Potomac because it is that unhealthy.)
If we can at least agree that environmental factors can play a role in long term health, then the next logical question must be, “How healthy is it to ingest a poison who’s sole purpose is to kill other bugs and animals?”
Buying organic fruits and vegetables insures that the following fruits and vegetables are free of dangerous pesticides and are being purchased fresh and while in season:
3. Grapes, Imported (Chili)
9. Bell Peppers
I am well aware that the information is a bit overwhelming, but the article does a pretty good job of cutting through alot of the confusion and distortion. As it relates to toxic pesticides on our fruit, the US Department of Agriculture found these 12 fruits and vegetables consistently carry much higher levels of pesticides than others. More disconcerting is that even with rigorous washing, these fruits and vegetables STILL contain unacceptable levels of pesticide residue.
Start educating yourself about the benefits of organic foods, as well as how to best shop for and budget for organic foods.
Conventional Fruit Labels
- Four Digits starting with 4
Organic Fruit Labels
- Five Digits starting with the the digit 9
Genetically Modified Fruits
- Start with the digit 8
So the next time you go shopping, remember these critical numbers and know how to avoid purchasing inorganic and Genetically Modified Fruits.
This is good to know because stores aren’t obligated to tell you if a fruit has been genetically modified.
1. If you come across an apple in the store and it’s label is 4922, it’s a conventional apple grown with herbicides and harmful fertilizers.
2. If it has a sticker 99222, it’s organic and safe to eat.
3. BUT IF IT SAYS 89222, THEN DON’T BUY IT!!! IT HAS BEEN GENETICALLY MODIFIED AND MAY NOT BE SAFE.